Friday 17 April 2015

This Girl Can…and will!

Goodness me…where have the last few months gone?! They say time flies when you're having fun…that must be the case!

Team 15in15 have had 3 events since my last blog and let me tell you…they have ALL been a CHALLENGE. I have to keep reminding myself that we have actually only done 4, and the total fundraising already stands at nearly 9k!

After the excess of December and an extremely Challenging 11k on New Years Day, it was head down into training and time to start shaping up for the rest of the events. The nutrition plan and the structured training must now be adhered to, otherwise there's no way I would manage to complete all these events and an Ironman in October - no time for anymore slip ups…time to get serious (well as serious as I can be)

The 20th February saw the second of out 15 events, The Woodcock Wander. This turned out to be way more successful than we ever anticipated with over 120 people turning up to walk over the Simonside Hills. Young and old came together in a spirit that dad would have been proud of - battling the winter elements to complete 6 miles over the snow covered crags. All were welcomed to the finish with a cup of tea and a delicious slice of cake - thanks to some lovely volunteers. There have been a few dark days since we lost dad in September, but the Woodcock Wander was a shining example of people coming together in the face of adversity to support each other (well to support us really) I feel incredibly lucky that we have so many people who think enough of us and our dad, to brave the wind and snow to complete the distance. We are lucky girls.

By March training was well underway and the excess Christmas pounds had started to fall off with ease…I say that…but training is never easy. It's usually 7 days a week for at least an hour a day….and more at the weekend. However as the coach keeps reminding me…I am training for Ironman! My times at the track started to tumble too…As the weight dropped so did my 200m times…From the start of January - end March…I dropped something like 20lbs and 20secs off my 200m time on the track. The spring was back in my step and the days were bright and happier again. I never thought I'd be so happy to smash a 200m time…but having these small goals help me work towards the ultimate finish line in October.

The Wednesday night track girls are the most lovely bunch of ladies I have ever come across and of course there's our coach Chris, who puts up with our constant gossip each session (gold star for Chris)…Although I was now faster over 200m…The Kirkley Hall half marathon now loomed. I was quite frankly terrified of it…Then stepped forward Sue Smith, Carol Parry and Sarah Hunter. Girl Power in force - we will run it as a troop they said (Insisted)…I immediately felt better and the decision was made, we would do it together. The race itself was a hard one (as most runs are for me) The conditions weren't great (wind and rain) and the course was quite hard and hilly. We battled our way around the 13.1 miles…I was really struggling but the girls didn't let my head go down…they sang, they gossiped and joked. They got me over the finish line…think I'd still be there now if it wasn't for them. THANK YOU - I will never forget it!

The start of April welcomed some better weather and also the F4L training camp! This is what I had been waiting for all of those long winter months…the promise of a week in the sun pedalling, paddling and plodding. This makes it sound like a holiday - I can confirm that this was very much NOT the case. A colleague mentioned the word "bootcamp" ahead of my departure… 'It's not a bootcamp"…I said…how wrong I was.

I flew out on Sat 4th April alongside some of my good friends who are also coached by F4L (you know who you are)…there was a feeling of excitement and anticipation amongst us all…what did the coaches have in store for us?! A bloody lot of hard work is the answer to that question. I am pleased I was unable to see the schedule before we left, otherwise I think I may have wimped out. It was hardcore to say the least. Most days had at least 3 sessions with a mix of swim, run and bike (sorry if I state the obvious).

We arrived around lunch and we had a quick hour to turn around before we were directed along to the pool for an 'easy' session… it was nice to meet everyone, but F4L does not do easy sessions…it does however get results. The pool swim woke us all up and gave us a chance to meet everyone who had flown in for the camp. Most of the athletes were from the uk, but we had 3 who had come from Dubai! Says a lot about the standard of the coaching!

Our first bike ride wasn't long (25miles) but my lord…it was the first time I had ever ridden in a group. We had a group of 20, with two parallel lines of 10 either side. You literally ride about 30/40cm's off the rider's wheel in front and 30cm next to the person on your arm - it's pretty nerve wracking the first time you ever do it….especially when you've been up since 4am! We rolled out through the town of Sant Jordi where we were staying, negotiating the cobbled streets and local kids on bmx's…how I didn't fall off I'll never know?!… the concentration was immense. Once we got out of the town, the road opened up and we were out in the beautiful Mallorcan countryside. Immediately I started to think about how much Dad would be enjoying this and how lucky I was to be here. The outing involved a stop at a cafe renowned for it's cheesecake…having only just arrived, I didn't feel like I'd quite earned the giant doorstop of strawberry flavour heaven that some of the others were tucking into (I did have some later in the holiday though). I passed and had a coffee…if only I knew what was coming…I'd have had the cake at the start too!

I don't even know where to continue with the camp…The coaches packed so much into our week in the sun (and even managed to book the sunshine) Highlights for me were…Randa- A gruelling 1700ft climb with spectacular views over the Mediterranean Sea … just as I felt like giving up, a bend came that gave a little teaser view over the valley and the ocean beyond … without fail when I see a view like that, it makes me think of dad and the reason why I am doing this. The view at the top was spectacular and the team spirit was even better…the stronger athletes coming back down the mountain to encourage the weaker ones to keep going.

My first 100 miler - getting lost in Palma and cycling through multiple lanes of traffic was highly entertaining to say the least (well done to the map readers for finding our way out) I'm still not sure how we found our way back, but we were at 98.5 miles when we reached Sant Jordi - You know you're a bike W@*ker when you keep cycling round the roundabouts to get up to 100miles! Well we weren't going to get all that way and not go for the century! It was a great feeling to complete the distance with some lovely friends…Go Team 100!!!!

There were so many other lovely moments with individuals on the trip…too many to name…but overall I'd say that again, sport brings people together. Some of the days were very gruelling but everyone encouraged each other to keep going…if you got dropped off the back of the bunch, there was always someone stronger who would fall back to give you a wheel and a tow you back to the pack. I had a few occasions like this and it restores your faith in human nature. I'd like to think that although I was one of the weaker athletes, that I helped keep someone else going when they were struggling. It's all about PMA (positive mental attitude) and there was a lot of this at camp. I will never forget it (apart from the last night - after too much wine) and it has made me mentally and physically stronger for Ironman…the brain is the most powerful tool. Just wish the old boy could have been there to enjoy it too! Thanks so much to Andy Stevens and Paul Jones for organising such a great trip.

After a boozy last night in Mallorca and a narrowly caught transfer…I caught my flight home to Newcastle. I'm going to be honest…I did not look like an athlete….I had a stinking hangover and I needed bed. I did however have a nice tan and a smile on my face from some good memories made at camp. This was enough to get me through the flight home and the women next to me who was shuffling a pile of euros in her hand for the ENTIRE flight home! My patience has reached a new level recently - PMA and all that….

The next day was the Allendale Challenge. In the spirit of honestly…I had again MASSIVELY underestimated the task ahead. Sometimes I think it's not a bad thing that I take things on without thinking…Allendale…not so much… I wish I had given it more thought. We were up at 5.30 for a 6.30 departure. This was not welcome after a skinful of gin and to be honest I think I was still a little drunk (I am really not a drinker). My eyes were burning in my head, but the mood was positive with Team 15in15… We would complete this challenge and tick number 4 off the list! GO TEAM!!!! We met the rest of the guys in Allendale village hall and had a quick snap outside before we headed off into the Allendale Hills - I'm so glad we didn't know what was coming.

What followed was (on paper) 26 gruelling miles over open moorland, peat bogs, swampland and hills - It was actually more like 29 miles. I genuinely felt like a hobbit (minus the hairy feet and big ears) journeying through middle earth to reach Mount Doom. There were times when morale was very low amongst the team…I tried to use my PMA training from camp to lift everyone's spirits…My roommate (Cristina) and I had frequently (no idea why) played the Spice Girls 'Spice up your Life" to motivate us before hard sessions…I thought I'd treat the 15in15ers to a rendition out loud…I got to the part "All you need is positivity"…my next step plunged swiftly downwards and before I knew it I was waist deep in a peat bog. The rest of the team were highly amused at this and so was I, however I was stuck fast and it took a three man chain to dislodge me from the mire, like a giant turnip I eventually popped out covered in mud. So glamorous I was at that point - pink lipstick makes everything better.

The boggy Lottie incident happened around half way round…I wish we could have had it nearer the end to keep us all going. The second half of the challenge was so tough. I have done a few endurance events now, this was by far the hardest in terms of mental toughness. It was just never ending…when you thought you were nearly there, there was another corner, another hill, another bog. The only thing that kept us going was each other. We sang songs, recounted stories and sometimes we were silent, but we did it all together. I am so proud that we ALL finished it…we were weary and sore by the time we reached Mount Doom (Allendale Village Hall) and I think it's safe to say none of us will ever do it again - what an achievement though… the t-shirt is actually quite nice, although I couldn't bring myself to look at it for the first few days! Up yours Allendale! We beat you!!!!

Phew…that blog was almost as long at the Allendale Challenge. Hope you're all still awake! Thanks so much to each and every person who has supported me over the last few months. The dark days are few and far between now thanks to you lovely supporters and friends. Life is good and the challenges fall as the sponsorship rises! IRONMAN here I come…I will take you on and I will conquer you! Courage to start, Strength to endure, Resolve to finish. My new mantra and one that Irondad lived his life by too! Miss him every day but grateful that he started me on this journey! BRING IT ON!








The Lovely track girls.

Team F4L

Post 100mile bike ride selfie.

My rookie Cristina and I (JUANITA!!!)

Delicious re-fuelling

Last day - on the front!

The pool - oh how I miss it already.

The highlight of the Allendale Challenge.

1 comment:

  1. Well done lottie, keep up the fine work... Your all doing a fantastic job x x

    ReplyDelete