Friday 6 February 2015

A fitting tribute to an Irondad…

It's been months since my last blog and as most of you will be aware, last year was one of the hardest we have faced as a family and on a personal level a huge battle to stay positive and keep smiling - but we press on. Loosing dad has left a huge hole in all our lives and we miss him everyday - he is never far from our thoughts. Cue 15in15.

Soon after loosing dad I decided that I couldn't just wallow about being miserable, dad would not have wanted that and also it's not in my makeup to be maudlin. Dad always taught Rachel and I to keep smiling and think positive - it was in that Spirit that the discussions began about what we could do to gain a positive out of the horrendous situation we found ourselves in.

On a bike ride one Sunday we started discussing fundraising ideas. Loosing dad has made me as a person more determined to get the most out of my life, my relationships with people and my achievements. Ironman 70.3 last year was a physical and mental battle, which took me over the finish line to a feeling of elation and £3000 for the Alnwick Hospice/Sir Bobby Robson Foundation. It was a huge Challenge in which I faced self-doubt, illness, pain and then at the finish line huge elation. I remember sending dad a photo just after I finished with my medal round my neck - He said he had never seen me look so happy and told me how proud of me he was. This was just the start… Back to the bike ride….With 2014 on the way out, we were now looking towards 2015 and hopefully a better year for everyone. I told Rach that I wanted to do a full Ironman and she said I was mad, but then that's a pretty standard response nowadays (followed by 'I could never do that'). We got chatting, whilst pedalling and Rach said she wanted to get on board too, maybe not with Ironman, but with other events which were more attainable yet still challenging for her and possibly for others too. We decided on one event a month to begin with and then swiftly moved on to 15 events for 2015…15k would be our sponsorship target for Pancreatic Cancer UK - 15 events varying in difficulty and that included everyone whether they be challenging themselves to get fit, or super fit already (I am in the first bracket BTW).

We needed to recruit a crack team of loyal supporters to help us with all the organisation, as it was going to take a lot of organising. Mum was on board instantly and then Jane Dungait, Olivia Clerey and Angus McBryde (goes without saying) were added in to the mix, closely followed by Andrew Lees who knows half of Northumberland!
So that's it - We decided on the 15 events and came up with the campaign name "15in15 - Lets Challenge Cancer'

Here I go - In October I was struggling to get my energy levels back up again…It's only now I'm feeling better that I realize that stress effects you in so many ways, most of which don't even occur to you at the time. I was so tired all the time, struggling with motivation and just couldn't seem to get going. Last year my training wasn't what I needed it to be at all, I needed some proper recommended advice and a programme to follow. Enter Paul Jones and Andy Stevens at F4L coaching. These guys know their stuff…recommended by three of my friends, I knew F4L was the place to go. I quickly learned their mantra "stick to the plan" … the plan (along with determination) will hopefully get me over the finish line. Paul sends me a programme each week which is usually a session a day and some longer sessions at the weekend... swim, bike and run with a bit of strength and conditioning work thrown in for good measure. It was hard going to start with, as I hadn't done much at all while dad was in hospital, but once I got the first few weeks under my belt, everything started to get a little better.

In addition to F4L I was introduced to the lovely Chris Waugh at Morpeth Harriers and embraced by the lovely Wednesday night 'track ladies'…you know who you are…I am still at the back of the pack, but I'm getting faster -  come rain, shine and even snow, we are there on a Wednesday night turning out the laps together…Poor Chris is often subject to a lot of gossiping (he loves it really).

Starting over was hard…but I can't tell you how much better I feel now, four months down the line and into 2015. I'm slowly building up strength again and everything is improving…the excess pounds I put on when dad was poorly are now falling off without much effort at all and that all helps with the speed.
I feel like I'm finally coming out of the darkness and that's thanks to sport and all of the lovely people who I've met in the last few months with a sprinkle of dad's fighting spirit which has been passed on.

On January 1st Team 15in15 had their first challenge. Morpeth 11k road race. It was a hard race and pretty hilly for the first one of the year. The headwind was brutal and as usual when it comes to running, I found myself at the back of the race. I pushed on up Mitford steads…I was going at a snails pace but I was going! It was a fast club race and I was very relieved to see the finish line - Thanks to Alan who ran the last half mile with me! All the Team had waited for me to finish and it was lovely to see them all - it set 15in15 off with a bang! GO TEAM!!!

Since January it's just been head down and into training…My next event with team 15in15 is the Woodcock Wander at Simonside. This is very special to all our family as it's where dad's ashes are scattered and we have spent many hours running up and down the tracks which lead to the craggy summit. Dad will no doubt be smiling down on us and feeling very overwhelmed at the amount of people who are pledging their support and their hard earned cash.

Well…if you're still with me (I know that was a long one) I'll be blogging again soon with my training updates and hopefully some good stories from the upcoming 15in15 events. If I have learned one thing from last year it's that you must keep going and stay positive. I had many dark days and still do from time-to-time. By far the best remedy I have found to feeling down is getting outside, getting moving and meeting new people who are like-minded. Slowly the smile has come back on my face and as long as I have sport I know I will be ok no matter what life throws at me.

Love to Dad as always…Until the next installment…
Lottie xxx










1 comment:

  1. Love this. Morpeth run was brutal!

    Well done & good luck x

    ReplyDelete